Wednesday, January 19, 2011

I fell in the snow.

In my never-ending attempt to add a little humor to life, I would like to begin this blog post with a [true] story:

Last week it snowed in Boston.  And snowed, and snowed, and SNOWED.  We had quite a mild winter last year, which was my first in Beantown, so I have not yet had the pleasure of the heavy snow experience.   I know my brother may scoff at this, but we got somewhere around 15 to 18 inches, I believe (he lives in Minnesota).  Anyway, when this much snow falls, the immediate course of action is to start shoveling.  As a result, the sidewalks become walled in by feet of snow on either side.  In addition, a bush or tree will  occasionally become so heavy with snow that will fall over, creating an obstacle on a sidewalk.  And this is where my story begins...

I was walking home from rehearsal, and I was on the phone (a shout out to all good sons who call their mom).  I was walking along the sidewalk when I came upon said bush blocking my path.  Of course, the daredevil I am, I figured I would simply climb the 3-foot wall of snow to my right to go around the tree.  As I started to climb, my foot sank into the snow, and I went down.  In a valiant effort to not drop my brand new Blackberry Torch in the snow, I made a snap decision to let my body take the brunt of the fall, and I rolled down that snow like a fat kid stuck in a tire on a steep hill.  Imagine, if you will, the younger brother from A Christmas Story falling down in the snow.  Yep, that was me.

But I didn't drop my phone.  Yes, my clothes were covered in dirty snow (you know, the gross kind that you end up with a day or two after the beautiful white stuff).  But I didn't drop the phone.  AND I don't think Mom had any idea it even happened :)

As an ardent fan of videos of people falling, I only wish there was a camera on when I took the plunge.  It would have been epic.

End.

I feel very fortunate that I am able to laugh at myself.  I know I can say stupid things.  I know I don't always know what I'm talking about, despite any attempt at fooling someone that I do.  But I also know that what I have to say can be worthwhile, and I am thankful for the confidence that has been given to me to LAUGH.

I've come across a lot of people in my [short] life, and it is always curious to me when I meet a "stick in the mud."  How can we go through this journey in life without laughing at ourselves from time to time?  It makes life, as the Irish would say, GRAND.

And finally, I would like to end this post with a bit of financial advice.  After all, my blog is somewhat designed around my self-made art of frugality...

Don't put dollar bills in your mouth.  You don't know where they've been.  

Happy snow hiking, friends :)

2 comments:

  1. I like your writing style, dude! Very real :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, I had no idea you fell! You are good and by saving your phone, you remained frugal by not having to spend money to replace it! Keepin' your priorities even in a down fall (or should I say snow fall). Love ya! Ma

    ReplyDelete