Wednesday, January 12, 2011

And so it begins...

Well friends and followers, after reading so many of my friends' [pretty terrific] blogs, I have decided to venture into the world of blogging.  Strangely enough, however, it was a blog I read of a complete stranger which inspired me to begin writing myself.  I read a blog of a father who took his nine-year old daughter to the Harry Potter World in Florida, and it was simply touching.  He spoke of the magic of a stranger's kindness to his child, and it made me thankful that I was able to have a look on what would typically have been a more private, intimate moment that made him look at the world differently.  So here I go.

This is not a singer's blog...even though I am a singer.

This is not an educational blog...even though I am educated.

This is not a political blog...even though, well you get the point.

This is a liver's blog.

Wait.  That sounds as if I have a body part struggling to get its point of view across to the world.  Dang.  It sounded so much more profound in my head.

Correction: this is a blog of someone who is in love with living.

In 2010, I lived, studied, sang, worked and/or traveled in Boston, MA, New York, NY, Atlanta, GA, St. Louis, MO, Tanglewood, MA, Dallas, TX, and Wexford, Ireland.  There is a slight possibility I am missing one or two, but you get the gist.  I love to travel.  I have to love to travel in order to do what I do.  I am a professional singer [more or less], and this requires I be available to sing in many different places.  And I love what I do.  In my [extremely limited] career so far, I have met some amazing people, seen some incredible sights, and shared some awesome memories with some wonderful folks.  And I am thankful for that.

So why the title?  Frugal Rock: The Life of a Stingy Traveler.

In trying to think of a name for this blog, I almost tried "sorry, but this blog name is not available."  But even that one was taken.  It's pretty hard to think of a name to represent myself, and there are a lot of really great names already taken out there.  However, with not too much effort, I came up with this title.  Anyone who knows me knows that I am pretty tight pursed, if you will.  Stingy? Eh.  Frugal.  YES.  With all the traveling I do, this is an important character trait to have because otherwise I would be BROKE.  It is very easy to spend a LOT of money when you travel as much as I do.  Why, just in November/December of 2010, I purchased 5 one-way plane tickets.  That's some moolah, folks, and I don't claim to make a lot of that.  I simply spend it wisely.

Back to the title.  In my never-ending attempt to try to apply a clever wit to everything/anything, I thought of the old kids' show, Fragal Rock.  Ha!  Frugal...Fragal.  Play on words.  You get it.  I'm clever [sometimes].  At least I will try to be as I express some simple things in my life that I find to be worthwhile.  And if I am [ever] able to touch the heart of all of the ardent readers I am sure to have, then that will simply give me one more thing for which to be thankful.

Let the blogging begin!

1 comment: